Monday 24 December 2018

Monthly Makeup Buys - What I Bought during Black Friday;-

I decided I wanted to start this little series because I don't buy tonnes of makeup (atleast not in comparison with my-2015-self) and I wanted them to be quick little first impressions of what I've picked up... and then Black Friday happened and suddenly this has turned into one monstrous haul. So I definitely recommend grabbing a hot drink to relax while you read this.
I'm not big into sales if I'm honest, if I love something enough I'm usually happy to pay full price. I used to love a sale, but I'd pick up so much stuff I didn't even like or want just because it was cheap, I've definitely learned a lesson the hard way. This black Friday was a little different, there are a lot of things that have been on my wishlist for a really long time and I've been wanting to branch out and try more brands for quite a while. I need to try some more new things outside of my usual comfort (sorry Revolution, I still love you) and I thought while there were a lot of deals on it would be the perfect time to do this.
I like to do these monthly makeup buy posts once I've tried everything out, which is why they are always super late (a whole month after Black Friday, whoops!) but because I bought so much there are a few things I have only tried once or twice and a couple I haven't tried at all so I will definitely be doing some follow up reviews on some of the products.

Colourpop First Impressions
First up is my first and very large order from Colourpop. I've been wanting to try some things from Colourpop for a long time, they seem like a very interesting and different brand and every time I've had a nose on their website I've fallen in love with quite a lot of things. They had a 30% off deal and free worldwide shipping over $50.00 so naturally I bought a bit of everything! I will say that it only took 6 days to get here from LA during Black Friday, which is amazing and took the same amount of time as my Beauty Bay order which came from the UK. It also came in an adorable box with this cute little postcard. Colourpop also now add tax charges onto any UK order, so you don't get any sneaky Customs Charge letters.

Colourpop Supershock Shadows in 'I Like You', 'Ripple', 'Sugar' & 'Special Delivery'
The thing I've wanted to try from Colourpop for the longest time is their supershock shadows because they seem really different to anything I own and I have seen a lot of people create really beautiful looks with these. They have a lot of pretty neutral, shimmery shades that I knew I'd get a lot of looks with, but the bright colours stole the show were the brights as I was instantly feeling inspired to pair these with shadows I already own. These have the oddest texture, they feel almost whipped or moussey, not quite cream. These pack a punch in terms of pigment and I've had no problem with creasing, whereas cream shades have a tendency to crease really badly on my lids. I will say that these are super glittery, they have chunky glitter rather than sheen. The shades I picked are all the 'Ultra Glitter' formula so it makes sense. They look beautiful on the eye, but by the evening I find some of the glitter has dropped down onto my face, I think these might benefit from a glitter glue so I think I'll pick one up and test this theory soon.

Colourpop Supershock Cheek in Showtime
Another thing I was eager to try were the Supershock Cheek highlighters as I've heard a lot of people rave about these. I expected this to be the same formula as the shadows, but this is a lot more creamy, it feels cold and wet to the touch, but again seems more moussey than other cream highlighters I've tried. I spent a long time scouring the website for the shade I wanted as a lot of the shades seemed too dark for my ghostly complexion, but its really good for anybody with darker skin. Showtime is a white shade with pink sheen and glitter. Again this is pretty glittery so if you don't like that, this probably isn't for you. I personally like it and I think this is a eye-catching and blinding highlight that I'm loving so far.

Colourpop No Filter Complexion Sheer Matte Pressed Powder in Fair
The first thing I haven't tried yet is this pressed powder from Colourpop as I'm trying to finish up my Charlotte Tilbury powder before I open this. I bought this in the lightest shade and its a pretty good match from swatching this. I don't really love my Charlotte Tilbury powder at $9.00 (around £7.11) this is a fraction of the price and I'm really excited to try it.

Colourpop Ultra Blotted Lip in Soda Pop
I love pressing a lipstick into my lips for a blotted look because I think it offsets a colour eye look so I was really keen to try a product that is actually designed to wear in that way. This looks like quite a deep pink shade, but as its not completely opaque it just tints my lips a little darker and evens the colour. I really like the shade, but the finish is a little odd. This dries to almost feel like a powder on your lips and I'm not sure if I'm keen on it. I've only worn for a long period of time with a gloss over the top, so I want to have a little more of a play with this to see if I can actually stand the finish.

Colourpop & Kathleen Lights Creme Lux Lipstick in What's Your Sign?
I'm trying to finish my only nude lipstick in my Finish 9 By New Year project, I'm very close to finishing it so I knew I'd need a new one soon. I saw Kathleen Lights announcement video for this collection and remembered how good the shade looks on her and I like her videos so it was nice to show some support. The packaging for this lipstick is beautiful and the star imprints on the bullet is a lovely touch, the packaging is metal and feels luxurious especially for the small price of $7.00 (around £5.50). This shade is a true nude and suits me a lot better than my current nude. This feels soft and again luxurious on the lips. I've only used this a couple of times and I'm looking forward to using it more in the future.

Colourpop & Disney Ultra Glossy Lip in Bobbidi
I try to keep my lip gloss collection pretty small and I tend to only have one open at a time so I haven't used this one yet either. Its a peachy shade, but I'm not sure how opaque it is on the lips. I will need a new gloss soon as my current one is nearly empty and I thought the packaging of this was cute so I thought I'd give this one a whirl.

I want to do a full review of all of my Colourpop goodies when I've had a good play with them with swatches and maybe a look or two.

Beauty Bay Black Friday
I headed along to the Beauty Bay website as I know they have an amazing Black Friday sale and at first I had a huge basket full, but products were going out of stock in front of my eyes and I whittled my cart down to just two items. I also took a trip to Bristol and found a massive Revolution stand in Superdrug, so of course it wouldn't be a haul by me without a couple of things.

Ofra Glow Bay, Glow Highlighter in Glazed Donut
I've been lusting after Ofra highlighters for a long time as they seemed to be praised as being the best highlighters by pretty much everybody I watch and read. I picked up mine in the shade Glazed Donut, which I believe is one of Ofra's collabs with Nikkie Tutorials, if I'm honest I don't really watch her a lot and I picked this up because a lot of people have said this is really good for pale skin. This pretty much a white base with a silver-toned sheen, so it definitely one best suited to a pale complexion. I will say that it is beautiful, its shimmery in a metallic and almost reflective way, but with literally zero glitter in it. This is hands down the most blinding highlighter I own and I can see why the Ofra highlighters are so highly praised. I don't think this shade is going to become my favourite, its pretty but as its silver I find it only pairs well with cool toned looks, so I don't think it will be my go-to particularly during the winter months when I tend to wear warm eyeshadow most of the time, but I would be so interested in picking up a more wearable shade in the future.

Wet n Wild Photo Focus Eyeshadow Primer
This is another one of the products I haven't used yet. I never really got along with drugstore eye primers before which is why I've stuck to my beloved Smashbox eyeshadow primer for years, but I've heard really good things about this one so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm currently using up the last of my current tube of my Smashbox eyeshadow primer in my Finish 9 by New Year project, so I'll start testing this once I've finished and then do a follow up review.

Revolution The Mascara Revolution
I knew I was about to run out of the tube of mascara I was using so I decided to pick up this one from Revolution seeing as I love most of the things they put out. This mascara has a huge bristle brush and the mascara is super black. I find the formula to be a little thick, but it lengthens and volumizes my lashes. It can make your lashes a little clumpy though, so if you like defined and separated lashes you probably won't love this. I've had no problem with transferring and it doesn't make my lashes really solid, like some other mascaras (Benefit's They're Real I'm looking at you). This was £8.00 and I'd definitely consider picking this up again when I've finished this tube.


Morphe First Impressions
Morphe 35M Boss Mood Artistry Palette
As always there's an eyeshadow palette in my haul and this one is a beauty. I don't take a lot of notice of Morphe if I'm honest, back when I first got into makeup I wanted one of their 35 pan palettes because I was just interested in accumulating products, but I feel like they quite often put out similar thing after similar thing. But I loved this palette from the moment I saw this. The greens are completely different to any others I have in my collection and I feel like the colour selection is very different and really inspiring to me. I didn't pick this up straight away because this is huge and I don't need another huge eyeshadow palette and a large portion of the shadows are brown. I own more than enough brown shadows. I would have rather this palette was smaller and cheaper and there wasn't any browns. However, every time I looked at a picture of swatches of the shades I would think up another combination to try that I wouldn't have thought of if all of these shades weren't together in one palette.
I think Morphe had a 20% off so I bit the bullet and picked this up and I'm really glad I did as it is even more beautiful in person. It screams Autumn, Halloween and witchy vibes, it may too late in the year but I love that shit all year round! This swatches beautifully and I was blown away when I first swatched it. Some of the matte shades do take a bit of work to build up and the shimmery shades work better if you apply them with your finger and blend the edges with a brush. But I've really been loving the looks I've created with this so far and I'm working on another 5 Looks 1 Palette post with this soon so watch this space.


Follow me around;

Twitter - @girlaboutvill
Instagram - @girlaboutvillage

No comments:

Post a Comment