Monday 17 September 2018

Peel Off Glitter Glue - Does it Really Work?

So for the first time I actually bought something that was advertised to me on Instagram. A little while ago I was scrolling through my feed and an ad for Beauty Bay showed up, the first product pictured was this Gypsy Shrine Peel Off Glitter Glue. I'm not somebody who uses glitter on a regular basis, but as this was a week or so before Reading Festival I knew I had to pick this up. If you're like me and only wear glitter once or twice a year during summer then this review is probably a little late in the year for you, but I absolutely have to talk about this.

The Gypsy Shrine Peel-Off Glitter Glue Review
I basically want to spend my entire time at festivals covered in glitter and gems, but I always find that by the end of the day I am gem-less and half of my glitter is missing. I've used glues that barely stick and I've also used ones that I can't removed without a body scrub and acetone, so the idea of a glue that I can peel off at the end of the day really appealed to me.
The glitter glue costs £10.00 for 35 grams of product. Before I used this I used to spend a couple of pounds for glitter glue from Amazon. This tube is much, much larger than any other glitter glues I've owned, but I still think that £10.00 is the top end of what I would spend on a good glitter glue. The Gypsy Shrine say this glue is formulated from a face mask, which is what makes it peel and its supposed to leave your skin feeling smoothed and treated after using it. You can buy it for yourself from Beauty Bay (here) and from The Gypsy Shrine's website (here).
A lot of glitter glues come with a doe foot applicator whereas this is in a squeezy tube. I find it easiest to apply this with my fingers, then wait for it to dry a little and peel it off my hands.
When using this with glitter I do still find that by the end of the day I have glitter all over myself, but I think a lot of that is because of my messy application. I tend to pour glitter onto my fingers and press it into the glue, then brush off any excess with a powder brush. But at the end of the day when I use this glue, my glitter looks completely intact. I don't think I lose a lot, if any, glitter throughout the day, which is not always the case when I use other glues. The glue doesn't bunch up or peel, it looks pretty much the same as when I applied it.
I've also used the glue underneath gems, both individual gems and those gem patterns that go around your eyes. Most gems do come with a sticky backing, but I seem to find they peel throughout the day or completely fall off. So I applied a little of the glue to the back before applying them to the face. With this glue the gems don't move around at all or come off, which is a massive improvement.
The removal process on the other hand is something else... With the gems its easy, just peel them straight off and all of the glue comes with it. Easy, no mess, no problem. With glitter, its a whole different ball game. You first need to find the edge and pick at it until it comes away from the skin. I couldn't get the glue doesn't peel off in one piece like I hoped, it comes away in small sections so its a little fiddly. The feeling is what I didn't enjoy... I was removing this in a bathroom near Reading Festival's main stage at the end of the night (because the lighting was 10,000x better than in my tent) swearing at myself with watering eyes. A random girl asked me if I was okay and I explained that I had peel-off glitter glue and she nodded knowingly and walked away. This is like taking off one of those really painful blackhead masks that we've all seen in viral videos of girls screaming. Removing glitter just under my eyes was tear-jerking. The fact that this didn't peel off in one go only made matters worse.
Once removed, however, my skin felt tight like I'd used a face mask and no glitter could be seen. I didn't have to scrub or use any harsh chemicals to remove it, so my skin wasn't irritated in any way. So although the removal was painful and a little fiddly at least it didn't take half an hour of scrubbing with acetone, which is genuinely something I've had to do before!
I will say I think this glue is perfect for face gems, and I will continue to use this for both gems and glitter because there is a crap-tonne left in the tube. But I would only recommend you picking this up for glitter if you're prepared for pain. But... this is by far the best glue I've ever used for glitter and gems that stay perfect all day and all night.


Follow me around;

Twitter - @girlaboutvill
Instagram - @girlaboutvillage


No comments:

Post a Comment