Tuesday 20 November 2018

5 Looks 1 Palette - "The Wants";-

This palette has garnered more controversy than I think I've ever seen, it is of course the Revolution and Emily Noel Collaboration, The Emily Edit "The Wants" palette. There have been reports of mould in the shade 'laughcry' and it was given an awful review by Tati. Which lead to more controversy after further reviews surfaced bashing Tati and questioning her integrity. Since I picked this up I've been eager to review it and do a whole post with looks I've created, but it has now been removed from Revolution's website, Revolution tweeted weeks ago that it would be back after reformulation, but its still not available. I wanted to post this when the reformulation had taken place, but I still don't know when that will be and I worked really hard on this post and I want it to see the light of day. The palette is still available on the Superdrug website if you want to get your hands on it.
In my experience, I had absolutely zero mould on my palette. I don't think the palette is complete crap, or patchy like Tati's review, but seeing as a number of people have had mouldy palettes and I haven't maybe not all of these Emily Edit palette's are made equal.
Revolution The Wants 5 Looks 1 Palette
Revolution The Wants 5 Looks 1 Palette
I have to admit I don't watch every Emily Noel video, I do think she is a really honest beauty Youtuber and she gives really detailed and full reviews. But mine and Emily's tastes in makeup are quite different so she's not always reviewing products that I'm interested in. But I was really drawn to this palette as soon as I saw it. I then watched Emily's video announcement for this, and I absolutely loved it. This is quite clearly something that Emily has put a lot of thought and hard work into. She also gives the best review of this product and all of her comments reign true, you can really tell that this is something very personal to her and not a product she has just stuck her name on, which makes me really happy that I can also support her when buying this palette. The thing I really love about this palette is that there is a big selection of different colours, but they're also really wearable and mesh well together so I don't find it overwhelming. There isn't a single shade in here that I couldn't create a look with just using this palette. I really love colourful eyeshadow, but I'm not brave enough to wear a bright green eye to work. For me this is the perfect work palette because I don't have to stick to neutrals, but the colours aren't luminous or in your face. I think this palette is perfect for colourful eyeshadow lovers who want something softer, or for people who want to get into colour but aren't quite ready for something really bright. I feel like this palette will please a lot of people but isn't the same as every other one on the market.
The palette is a nudey pink shade with Emily's gold signature across the front, I really love the colour because I have a tonne of Revolution palettes that look very similar and this stands out. Lots of people have said it, but this is massive, I think its the same size as the large Morphe palettes but it has less shades. It also has an enormous mirror which I love, it makes it the perfect travel palette for me as even though it is really big I know I will have a mirror big enough for my entire face and I can put it wherever the lighting is best. The shade names are also printed along the palette which I absolutely love because it means I could throw out the little plastic sheet that came with this. My only gripe (and its only small) is that there is quite a bit of space between the shades and I feel like they could have made them a little closer and saved on space.
In terms of the shadows themselves these are unlike Revolution's other eyeshadows and I think Emily's review best describes them.
The shades aren't the most pigmented, but they are true to the colour in the pan. They're not patchy and are buildable so that you can get a bright and pigmented. I think it makes the shades really easy to work with and gives a really soft look. The shimmer shades aren't super metallic, but I think that goes with the soft matte shades. I've used a couple of the shimmers with a setting spray which helps them really pack a punch. I will say that there is quite a bit of fall out with most of these shades, but I find this is common with Revolution eyeshadow palettes. I find its something I can easily work around and it doesn't mean I like the shadows any less.
And here are the looks I created with the palette...

Pink Revolution The Wants
I was really eager to try the shade 'family' and the shade 'pizzazz' and I haven't seen anyone else use these together so I decided I would. I first went in with 'prayer' which is a pinky brown shade, I used this as a transition shade as I thought it would be a good shade to blend 'family' into my natural lid colour. I next went with 'pizzazz' all over the lid, this is a sort-of dusty pink shade with pink shimmer, this is super glitter and had a more subtle sheen. I then took 'family' into the crease and under the bottom lash line. I really like this shade as it a true to colour dark purple, which I'm really impressed with as I've tried other purples from Revolution (I'm looking at you Iconic Smokey) that have just been a muddy mess, but this shade isn't that. I then popped 'cupcake' which is a subtle pink shimmery shade, into the inner corner to highlight the look. I really like these shades together as I think they blend really nicely. I also used a little pencil eyeliner and a nude gloss to finish off the look.

Green Gold Revolution The Wants
For my second look I decided I needed to play with the dark green and the gold shade in the palette because they both look beautiful. I went straight in with 'corduroy', the beautiful dark green shade, in my crease. This applied really evenly but softly and I had to build it up to get a brighter shade. I blended the edges out with 'honestly', which is a very yellow-toned light brown. I then took 'top story', a dark gold, all over the lid, this did have a little bit of fall out. I finally took 'side hustle' which is a shimmery khaki green and I blended the edges of 'top story' and 'cordoroy' together. I also applied this all along my lower lash line. I applied a very thin line of liquid eyeliner and paired the look with a berry lip. I think this is a lovely autumnal look and I can see myself getting a lot of looks out of these shades.

Pink Purple Revolution The Wants
For my next look I really wanted to use the shade 'belle violet', this is a shimmery lilac shade which is one of the first shades that drew me to the palette in the first place. This shade is a little sheer when used dry so I used it here with a little setting spray to make the shade a little more foiled and bright. I've only seen tutorials people using this shade with the shade 'family' so I wanted to try something a different. I took the shade 'love tons' which is a darker matte pink and I blended this through my crease and under my lower lash line. I then took the shade 'pi phi', which is a matte wine colour and I used this darked up my outer v. I used a light pink highlighter into my inner corner. I paired this look with a bright pink lip. I really like that I could create quite a bright, colourful look even with these soft shades.

Gryffindor Makeup
This day I was wearing a new Gryffindor jumper so I wanted to match my eyeshadow to my house colours. I started this look by taking the shade 'cheer', the matte dark red shade, and I used this in my crease. I then took the shade 'laughcry' on the outer and inner parts of my lid, this is a more orange lighter red. I then mapped out the center of my lid with concealer to create a halo eye. In the center I used the shade 'top story' again. To blend 'top story' into the red I took the shade 'good vibes', which is a shimmery red shade. I then repeated the shade order of shades on my lower lash line and I applied 'top story' to my inner corner. I finished of the look with a very heavy liquid eyeliner, mostly by accident.

Pink Revolution The Wants
For my final look I decided I wanted to go for something a little lighter and show that you can create a range of different kinds of looks with this palette. I started the look by using the shade 'dues paid', this is a super warm medium brown, I used this as a transition shade. I then took the shade 'love tons' again and I used this on the outer third of my eye lid. I then used the shade 'eve rose', which is a super cool shade that looks light pink in the pan, but has gold glitter that shows through in different lights. I used 'eve rose' on the rest of my lid all the way to my inner corner. I added a little definition to my lower lash line with the shade 'capricorn' which is a shimmer dark brown. I decided that I wanted to keep this look light and rosey so I didn't use any eyeliner.

Please let me know what you think of this post, as it took a lot of effort, but I really enjoyed creating the looks. I really want to start doing more of these posts with palettes I already own. I'm not sure whether I should post a seperate review, or just list the shades I used as this post got very long, very quickly and I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Follow me around;

Twitter - @girlaboutvill
Instagram - @girlaboutvillage

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful looks! I really enjoyed this post. :) I loved that the looks you came up with are different than the ones I've seen others do! Big pro to this palette, so many great combinations! I'm going to try recreating all of these. :) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate it.

      I'd love to see your recreations!

      Tamara x

      Delete