Monday 14 January 2019

My 2018 Favourites (All Cruelty Free);-

This post is definitely a little late but this year has definitely not been one of many Favourite's posts, I did a lot of panning and trying to finish up products but my most used is not actually a reflection of the ones I've loved most, so I really wanted to gather up everything I've loved most this year to share with you.
I wasn't sure whether to just include just things I bought this year, but in all honestly I don't think I've bought enough to share favourites in the majority of categories and there are also some things I've been loving and using that are not cruelty free. I don't want to use my blog to promote those items and brands that test on animals so I've left these out and hopefully by the end of next year I'll have some cruelty free alternatives to share with you.

Face
Primer - Bodyshop Instablur All In One Primer
My favourite primer for this year and probably the last four or five years is this one from the Bodyshop. Its a silicone primer that files pores, mattifies and prolongs the wear of my makeup. This does pretty much everything I need from a primer. I'm currently testing out a Barry M Primer stick and I really don't like it as much as this one!

Foundation - Revolution Conceal & Define Foundation
I keep meaning to review this foundation in full, but I still haven't gotten around to it. I didn't pick up this Revolution foundation until later in the year, but I still love it more than any of the others in my collection. This has buildable coverage, but isn't thick on the skin. It has a demi-matte finish making it look really natural on the skin  and its really long lasting. Add in the fact that there is a pretty extensive shade selection and its under £10.00 makes this is my favourite foundation that I've tried so far. If you haven't tried this and you're on the hunt for a new foundation I would definitely recommend giving this one a try.

Concealer - Revoltuion Conceal  Define Concealer
The matching concealer to my favourite foundation is also my favourite. This is a little thicker than most liquid concealers, but this packs a punch when it comes to coverage. There's a reason everybody has raved about this all year. It doesn't feel heavy on under the eyes and its easy to blend and does a great job to brighten the undereye area and conceal blemishes.

Powder - Bake & Finish Powder
Another Revolution hit is this loose powder. This mattifies the skin without looking in any way cakey because the powder is really finely milled. The pot is also huge so I'm glad I love it as its going to take me ages to refill it. I even prefer this over my Charlotte Tilbury Powder. My only gripe is that I wish the cap was larger to make it easier to dip my brush or sponge into!

Highlighter - MUA Undress Your Skin Hihglighter Powder
An oldy but a goody that I rediscovered in my collection this year is this MUA highlight. I've had this for flipping ages, but I fell in love with a pinky highlight this year so this is perfect. It has a beautiful pink sheen and is perfect for pale skin. It can really be built up for a really reflective look. If you still have this in your collection I would definitely recommend that you dig it out and start using it again.

Setting Spray - I <3 Revolution Fixing Spray Green Tea Scent
I've never really had a favourite fixing spray because I think most of them do the same, but I usually use the Revolution ones as they're really good for only £5.00. This one is in the scent green tea, but it just smells really fresh. The sprayer on this one is better than any other and gives a really even layer of product. Of course, it also helps to keep my makeup on for longer so I'll definitely be picking this one up over any other when I finish this bottle.

I actually don't have a favourite bronzer, blush or highlight for the year as a lot of these products in my collection that I reach for often aren't cruelty free. I've picked up a couple of cruelty free highlighters lately, but I haven't played with them enough to add them to my yearly favourites. Hopefully I'll be able to test out some cruelty free alternatives in 2019.

Eyes
Eyeshadow Primer - Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer
Another product that has been a long-standing favourite is my Smashbox eyeshadow primer. This stuff is a peachy colour so it helps to conceal veins on my lids. This keeps my eyeshadow on literally until I actually remove it. I've tested this at work, on night's out, at festivals and it is life-proof. My only issues with this is that it sometimes goes a little funny where my primer meets my foundation and its kinda pricey. I'm hoping to test a couple of other primers out this year, but at the moment my heart belongs to Smashbox.

Mascara - Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect
My favourite mascara of the year has to be the Essence Lash Princess. This stuff is fantastic, its super black lengthening and volumizing and so, so cheap! If you're passing your local Wilko don't overlook this because its so good.
An honourable mascara mention is the Revolution Mascara, also a really good affordable mascara, its a little more volumizing than the Essence one, but less lengthening. If you prefer long seperated lashes choose the Essence, but if you want thicker lashes the Revolution one is for you.

Eyeliner - Revolution Renaissance Flick
I don't actually wear eyeliner every day, but this one has been a stand out for me this year. I freaking love this stuff, the tip is super thin so you can create a precise line, its really black never flakes or smudges. The thing I love most about this is the shape, because its rounded it fits really nicely in my hand making my hand as steady as possible. I'm not saying it means I never fuck up my eyeliner, but it definitely helps.

Eyeshadow Palette - Revolution Iconic Division
Picking my favourite eyeshadow palette of the year was really tricky! I tend to buy a palette, be obsessed with it for a couple months and then move on to another. I've also been working on using up some eyeshadows in my 18 Eyeshadows in 2018 project, but I picked eyeshadows that I wasn't showing a lot of love to and I don't know if I'd have used them half as much if they weren't in my project.
One palette I bought this year is the Iconic Division, I bought this in Spring and absolutely loved it, then I actually went back to it in Autumn because the colour story is perfect for it. Not only did I go back to this palette but a lot of the shadows have now become staples. The orange is this palette is my absolute favourite, I have an entire orange palette but I'm debating decluttering it because this is the orange I reach for most. I also love the warm brown in this palette and I've used it so many times! I think the colour story is equally colourful and neutral and suitable for everyday. I will say that the shimmery shades are not my favourite and the mattes do require some building up, but overall I love this palette and its a staple in my collection.

Lips
Lipstick - Revolution x Soph Lipstick in Cake
My favourite lipstick this year is this Revolution and SophDoesNails Collab. This is the perfect browny-nude shade that is amazing for offsetting a colourful eye look. This a satin formula that moisturises the lips without being glossy, my favourite formula. Good choice Soph!

Liquid Lipstick - NYX Liquid Suede in Soft Spoken
My favourite liquid lipstick has to the NYX Liquid Suede. These are of course matte, but not at all drying on the lips. It lasts a really long time on the lips, so I also sometimes use this as a base for a glossy nude to prolong the wear. Soft Spoken is a warm, true brown, its again a shade that is subtle enough to offset a colourful eye, but also eye-catching.

Lip Liner - Essence Lip Liner in Soft Berry
My favourite lip liner of this year is my Essence lip liners, these are cheap and cruelty free. They apply really smooth with a matte finish to prolong the wear of your lip colour. I have these in a bunch of colours and I love them all. I think my favourite shade is the nude, but I've currently used it up and don't have it in my collection. My second favourite is this one in Soft Berry, which is a dark berry colour. It goes perfect with Autumnal berry shades and I also love using it underneath lighter lipsticks to darken up the colour.

Revolution Skin Target Under Eye Serum
I don't talk to much about skincare, but I have used a few stand-out products this year that I wanted to share. The first is from Revolution's skincare line, the under eye serum. This stuff feels like water so sinks into the skin really quickly without any residue. It works to moisturise the under eye area and actually works to brighten the undereye area and reduce puffiness. This is the first under eye treatment I've used that I actually notice the effects of.

Superdrug Naturally Radiant 2 in 1 Moisturiser and Serum
My favourite moisturiser of the year has to be this one from Superdrug because I've been through two bottles of this. I actually don't think this works wonders or will change and improve your skin in crazy ways, but I think this is great for everyday use and is great under makeup. I've definitely tried more pricey moisturisers that do exactly the same. I did a whole review of Superdrug skincare and you can read it here.

A skincare honourable mention has to go out to the Revolution Baking Oil. I had never tried any face oils before this year and it has massively changed my skin. I have combination skin, it gets oily but I can also suffer from dry patches. I mostly use a facial oil at night so that it doesn't make my makeup look oily throughout the day. Since starting to use one I have had literally no problems with dry skin at all and the texture of my skin just seems better than ever. I have used this a few times under more matte foundations and it completely stops it from clinging to any dry patches, but I do need to powder more around my T-zone. I've used the bottle I had of Revolution Baking Oil and I've moved onto another one from Revolution's skincare line, which I think pretty much does the same. A facial of some kind have definitely become a huge staple in my skincare routine.

I hope you had a great 2018 and I wish you an even better 2019!


Follow me around;

Twitter - @girlaboutvill
Instagram - @girlaboutvillage

No comments:

Post a Comment