Monday 24 August 2015

Smash Box Try It Kit;

Sample sets are one of my favourite things for higher end brands. You get to try out the products without commiting to spending tens of pounds on the full size. Usually the samples are pretty generous and you usually make a saving when buying the set. I got this one from Smashbox for just £13.50 from my local Cosmetics Company Store. I really suggest checking out The Cosmetics Company Store if you come across one. They're full of higher priced brands for lesser price, of course they're full of odd shades of eyeliner and a most things are at least a season old, but you can find some real bargains.
This Smashbox set contains four of their best-selling products. The first of which is their famous Photo-Finish Primer. This is a silicone based primer but feels a lot smoother and the consistency is lighter than most others that I've tried. It feels moisturising on the skin and a little goes a long way. Before applying foundation it doesn't have much effect, it doesn't mattify or make your pores look smaller. However it does help foundation blend in easily. I found wearing this my base did look freshly applied, whilst looking almost dewy but without any shimmer. This isn't ideal for me as I have oily skin, and although I felt less oily than I do without primer, dewy is a look I stay away for. I think this would be better for people with drier skin, but it is great for flat looking matte bases or foundations that become cakes throughout the day.
There is also Smashbox's 24 Photo-Finish Eye Primer. I've only ever used a liquid primer, and this has the consistency of a cream shadow except squeezed from a tube. This blends into the lids until it feels as though there is nothing there. This primer claims to intensify the colour of shadows, which I was a little dubious of as I've never tried a primer that has done that. However even when applying pigmented eyeshadows this brightens the colour and makes it pop! Not to mention that this makes your eye look last all night, no matter what you're doing there will not be a single crease. This is the thing I am most impressed with and really want the full size of. This sample is 4g which I think is generous for an eye primer.
Next up is a mini Full Exposure Mascara. The wand on this is a super thick brissle wand, which isn't what I usually go for but I find the wand grabs every lash. This mascara really lengthens and seperates your lashes. It gives you really fluttery defined eyelashes. However it's not the best for volume, but makes a great base if you like to layer mascaras. I think it makes an amazing lower lash mascara. It also lasts all day without flaking or smudging.
The last thing in the set is this little eye palette, with 3 neutral matte shadows. I was pretty surprised to see this in a set as they're not usually including in samples. I think it's a great size as you can travel with it easily and I never use full eyeshadow pans. I also love the packaging and the shadows pull out from the side! These shades can make a great look, but I'll probably use it as more of an accompanying palette. The three shades you get are: Vanilla which is a matte creamy colour, Sabel which is a beige-y brown that is great for the grease, and Sumatra which is a dark chocolatey matte shade. All of the shades very pigmented, even vanilla and they last all night especially when paired with the primer. 

All items worn here.



No comments:

Post a Comment